Unprintable

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

More Hemingway. I didn’t get to read it today because I had an exam. To which I arrived 45 minutes late : D.

The last classic I read concerning war was All Quiet on the Western Front. Generally I’ve found that classics aren’t about war. Unless its a Shakespearean tragedy since you know, wars are great ways to end books and solve problems.


So yeah, the book is generally not what I expected but it’s pretty good. It’s characters are original and complex and the dialogue is amazing.

A few quotes:

“Unless they jam, run out of ammunition or get so hot they melt,” Robert Jordan said in English.

“What do you say?” Anselmo asked him.

“Nothing,” Robert Jordan said. “I was only looking into the future in English.”

“That is something truly rare,” the gypsy said. “Looking into the future in Ingles.”


“You must know the second half of a password.”

“What is the first half then?” Robert Jordan said.

“I have forgotten it,” the man said in the dark and laughed. “Go then unprintably to the campfire with they obscene dynamite… And when thou comest to the camp, order that some one should relieve me because I have indescribable and unprintable hunger and I have forgotten the password…

“That we blow up an obscene bridge and then have to obscenely well obscenity ourselves off out of these moutains?”

“One called Agustin says he dies of boredom above,” Robert Jordan said.

“That doesn’t kill,” Pablo said. “Let him die a little.”

Book is pretty long though. It’s like Harry Potter without teenagers.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP